Re: deborphan

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
On Sat, Feb 03, 2007 at 05:01:08PM +0100, Gerard Robin wrote:
On Sat, Feb 03, 2007 at 10:21:04AM -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
From: "Roberto C. Sanchez" <roberto@connexer.com>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: deborphan
On Sat, Feb 03, 2007 at 03:34:10PM +0100, Gerard Robin wrote:
can I remove merely this packages ?
That depends.  Do you use any of them?
it is why I asked advices, by example: if I remove libc6-i386 and after that I install a package x.deb which needs it, will libc6-i386 be reinstalled as dependency of the package x.deb ?

If a package depends on it, deborphan won't show it.  Perhaps I was a
bit too terse in my reply.  Basically, you need to know if *you* have
compile any software yourself that makes use of those libraries.  If you
have, then don't remove them.  If you only have Debian packages on your
system (no self-compiled software), then you are good to go.

Meaning, if you have explicitly asked for any of these packages then they will also show up this way. What was your reason? Compiling software will mostly be '-dev' packages.

To the original sender: Just for future reference, you can avoid the chance of breaking something with Deborphan by using aptitude install of apt-get in the future. As long as you use only aptitude (And not apt-get) it should uninstall unused libraries alongside programs.