Re: No sound in Thinkpad Z61M after configuring ALSA

On 03 Feb 2007, John O'Hagan wrote:
> On Saturday 03 February 2007 04:32, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > > > > >
> [...]
> > >
> > > I remember a while ago somebody had problems with sound and it turned
> > > out that they had to mute the headphones output before they would get
> > > anything on the normal speaker output. I do not recall anymore if that
> > > was in fact related to an Intel card or not, but it is a quick thing to
> > > try.
> [...]
> >
> > I'm even thinking of giving up in despair and trying Ubuntu!
> >
> Hi Anthony,
>
> Before you do that - and not to say that Nigel's answer isn't correct - I
> suggest you try Florian's suggestion quoted above: I was the someone who had
> that problem and the fix was simple: run alsamixer and mute the headphone
> channel.
>
>  (This is rather confusing but it means the headphone channel still works when
> plugged into, and otherwise the speakers are on. For some reason it was
> unmuted by default, which switches off the speakers.)
>
> This was an Intel 82801DB-ICH4, so it may not apply, but worth a quick try.
>
> Regards,
>
> John

Thanks to you and Nigel for suggestions.

A;samixer doesn't show any entry for headphones.

This is depressing. I'd researched things before buying this laptop and
no on reported difficulties with sound.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian