Re: How to make work dual monitors with Debian etch on an IBM x60s ThinkPad?

Dietrich Bollmann wrote:
<snip various config files and error logs>

(EE) Synaptics Touchpad no synaptics touchpad detected and no repeater device
(EE) Synaptics Touchpad Unable to query/initialize Synaptics hardware.
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Synaptics Touchpad"

I doubt this is related to your dual head problems, but I'm surprised X even starts with this error, it didn't for me :). Any way, you may need to install the xserver-xorg-input-synaptics package to get this working.

Thanks again for your help!

Best wishes, Dietrich

---
PS: I have some more questions I would like to ask:

* How to restart X

Ctrl+Alt+Backspace.

For the moment I use `kill $(cat /tmp/.X0-lock)' to kill X --- and the result is
that my session is terminated and I have to log in again and start all my
applications once more.

Is there a way to restart X without having to login again?
And where is X started anyway?

You will have to log in again.

I remember that I used .xsession some years ago.  But Debian doesn't seem
to use this file anymore, right?

It depends how you start X. .xsession can still be used but I use KDE and therefore kdm to start X.

Also sometimes X would work after killing it and loging in again but not
when rebooting...

* ...and finally, concerning my email:

How can I configure `debian-user' in a way to NOT show my email address?

You cant' AFAIK, that's why I use this e-mail which is specifically for list use.

HTH

Wackojacko