Re: Dual head setup

Hi Hans,

Hans du Plooy wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm banging my head against this one - with little effect...

I just installed Etch on my workstation, which has a Radeon 7000 and two
Dell 19" LCD screens.  I'm trying to set up an extended desktop - sort of
need it that way to be able to work efficiently.

I followed various howtos and posts in the internet, and what I have now
seems to be what I'm supposed to have but I'm still getting just a cloned
display, and KDE doesn't give me the option to change anything (in Control
Center --> Peripherals --> Display).

I feel your pain. I just had several weeks of trying to fix the same problem but with an ATI X600 PCIE.

Is there anything special I have to do - some package I forgot to install?

To get my video card working and stable, I had to use the fglrx module provided by ATI. (http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html -> Linux x86 -> choose your card, etc etc) The Debian package created by the ATI installer did not work for me (because I am on stable with Xorg off backports.org, their 'stable' package created an XFree86 driver and their 'testing' package wanted Xorg >=7.0, I'm running 6.9...) so I had to use their installer to just install the module directly into the filesystem rather than a Debian package. Because I did not build the kernel module, I miss out on 3D, but I don't care :p Since you are on Etch you may have more luck. Once you have run the installer in whatever way works for you, use the 'aticonfig' program to generate correct driver/screen/monitor stanzas in your xorg.conf. My working xorg.conf is below.

Before I did all the above, I did get the dual head working under Xorg with the radeon module, but it would frequently crash with this message in Xorg.0.log:
(EE) RADEON(0): FIFO timed out, resetting engine...
This xorg.conf is also included below.

Apparently this error can cause outright lockups (as in my case) or have no effect whatsoever. I think it depends on the combination of video card and motherboard.

Here is my config.

My crashing xorg.conf with the radeon module:
Section "Files"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load    "bitmap"
        Load    "dbe"
        Load    "ddc"
        Load    "dri"
        Load    "extmod"
        Load    "freetype"
        Load    "glx"
        Load    "int10"
        Load    "record"
        Load    "type1"
        Load    "vbe"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "keyboard"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc104"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "ATI Radeon X600 (DVI)"
        Driver          "radeon"
        BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
        Screen          0
        Option          "CRT2Position" "RightOf"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "ATI Radeon X600 (VGA)"
        Driver          "radeon"
        BusID           "PCI:1:0:1"
        Screen          1
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Monitor for ATI Radeon X600 (DVI)"
        Option          "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Monitor for ATI Radeon X600 (VGA)"
        Option          "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "PCIEScreen0"
        Device          "ATI Radeon X600 (DVI)"
        Monitor         "Monitor for ATI Radeon X600 (DVI)"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           24
                Modes           "1280x1024"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "PCIEScreen1"
        Device          "ATI Radeon X600 (VGA)"
        Monitor         "Monitor for ATI Radeon X600 (VGA)"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           24
                Modes           "1280x1024"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "Dual-head Layout"
        InputDevice     "Generic Keyboard"
        InputDevice     "Configured Mouse"
        Screen          0 "PCIEScreen0"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
        Mode    0666
EndSection

And here is my working xorg.config with the fglrx module:
Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Dual-head fglrx Layout"
        Screen      0  "aticonfig-Screen[0]" 0 0
[...]

        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "aticonfig-Monitor[0]"