Re: Nvidia 7900GO

On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 09:57:05AM +0100, debian wrote:
> does anybody knows what drivers i have to use for my laptop (dell xps) ?
> videocard is nvidia 7900 go but nvidia does only have drivers for
> windows.

First, get xorg working with nv so that you know everything else works.

Install the nvidia-glx, and other nvidia- packages.

Run nvidia-config which alters your xorg.conf to use the nvidia drivers
and ensures that the modules are loaded.

If you are using a stock debian kernel, there's not reason to compile
the modules.  It has already been done for you in the matching nvidia-kernel
package.

There's been lots of discussion on the lists for this.  The earlier
messages were from before the -kernel packages were available in Etch.

Good luck.

Doug.