Re: Etch is REALLY fast! :-)

On 1/31/07, Gustavo Franco <stratus@debian.org> wrote:
[...]
I've a question on behalf of the Debian Ombudsman Team:
- Is there any current issue you would like to see solved into our
post-etch release (Lenny) ?

Something I'd actually like to see resolved before the release is the
whole info-files mess. Open up man ls on your etch system, it says
you'll find the entire docs at "info ls", but it's not there. Why?
Apparently dpkg install-info is borked (and has been for a good many
years). The maintainers of coreutils refuse to change their manpages
to say "info coreutils ls" (and right they are) and install-info
doesn't seem to get fixed. Anyway, now and then I find this inane
problem in Debian that I think really shouldn't be getting past QA.

I found some relevant bugreports. [1][2] Notice that that last bug has
severity wishlist but if you think about it this will hit a lot of new
debian users. They'll go into the manpage, see that they could be
reading the info pages, try it and end up on the manpage. Doesn't
break the functionality of the package much, but if the docs are so
hopelessly borked how are users supposed to actually find them before
coming into #debian or on this list asking questions?

Don't take this as slagging off Debian, I still think it's the best
distro out there and etch on the whole definitely is doing really
good.

greets,
Wim