Re: a few dumb questions about apt sources.list file contents....

On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 12:01:45AM +0000, Michael Fothergill wrote:
> Dear Debianists,
>
> Here is my apt sources.list file;
>
> localhost:/etc/apt# more sources.list

less is better than more.

> #
> # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Etch_ - Official Snapshot amd64
> Binary-1 (20061110)]/ etch contrib main
>
> deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Etch_ - Official Snapshot amd64
> Binary-3 (20061110)]/ etch contrib main
> deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Etch_ - Official Snapshot amd64
> Binary-2 (20061110)]/ etch contrib main
> deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Etch_ - Official Snapshot amd64
> Binary-1 (20061110)]/ etch contrib main

If you are now trying to install off internet then remove the cdrom
entries.

> # Line commented out by installer because it failed to verify:
> #deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib
> # Line commented out by installer because it failed to verify:
> #deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib

You *want* security updates.

> I could use  /ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ for example as the mirror...

ok, although thats not a proper URI.

> What does the main contrib part do?

That is for the different repositories:
main - official Debian
contrib - packages which depend on non-free (not too sure on this.)
non-free - packages which can't go into main because they do not conform
to the DFSG

> Do I need the source files?

I'm guessing no.

> Could I add something like
>
> deb /ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib

You should stay with etch. Thats not a proper URI

> to the file and it would work?

Ok start fresh - i.e. change it so it looks like this:

# Start of sources.lst
deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free

deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ etch main non-free contrib

# End of sources.lst

Then do an apt-get update or aptitude update (whichever you are used to)

You will probably get a message like:

	following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key
	is not available: NO_PUBKEY EA8E8B2116BA136C
	W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems.

Take note of the number after the NO_PUBKEY, then do:

gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv-key number-you-took-note-of ;
gpg --armor --export EA8E8B2116BA136C | apt-key add -

The above should all be on one line.

Hope that makes sense, please post back with any probs you have
preferrably with the contents of your /etc/apt/sources.lst file and the
exact error messages. I only read + post my mail daily so it would be at
least 2 days before I could reply, but hopefully someone may have
responded by then. :-)

--
Chris.
======