Re: spamassassin running as 'nobody' causes problems

Greg Folkert wrote:

> I am running SA using SA-Exim at SMTP time. This then rejects the mail
> before it is accepted, if it doesn't do RFC822 properly.
>
> Yeah, I know this is against the RFC, but it has reduced the processing
> on my machine by magnitudes. If they really want to send it to me,
> they'll do it the right way.

Do you have spamassassin configured so each user has their own
~/.spamassassin read in for email destined for them?  I've been trying
to figure out how to do that so I can implement it at my site and
suggest it to people considering far worse alternatives
(challenge-response, address munging, etc).

Greg, I used to have it set up this way on my Solaris system, where I compiled and configured all the components (sendmail/spamassassin/milter) by hand over the course of a "long time", but never had a permission or lock error. Moving to Debian and using the packages...the installation was a snap, but it appears to force you into a certain direction by default that contradicts my previous method of per user configuration. If you can figure out how to get it to work that way, please tell us all, but I'm probably going with one of Andrew's suggestions and create a central repository for spamassassin config for user spamd...