gcc docs and linking...

Just when I thought I just about had a Debian system that
was complete enough to develop on without needing access
to my older distros....

Does anyone know how to fix:
	digbyt@fujitsu:~/work/audio$ man gcc
	No manual entry for gcc
I have tried installing the gcc-4.1-doc package, but it didn't
seem to help. I know man pages for gcc do exist, as all my other
(non-Debian) systems seem to have them installed out of the box..

This is a Debian Etch system on a Fujitsu notebook.

The immediate issue that led me to attempt to consult the man
page (in case someone can point out where I am going wrong)
was a problem statically linking the oggfile libraries.

  cc -lvorbis -lvorbisfile -static -o oggplay oggplay.o
  oggplay.o: In function `main':
  oggplay.c:(.text+0xe7): undefined reference to `ov_open'
  oggplay.c:(.text+0x2b6): undefined reference to `ov_info'
  oggplay.c:(.text+0x473): undefined reference to `ov_read'
  oggplay.c:(.text+0x48e): undefined reference to `ov_clear'
  collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
  make: *** [oggplay] Error 1

If I leave out the '-static' argument then the compile completes
successfully (but using the shared version of the libs).

As far as I can see, the static library exists and defines the
missing symbols, for example:
  digbyt@fujitsu:~/work/audio$ nm /usr/lib/libvorbisfile.a | grep ov_open
  000036e0 T ov_open
  00003470 t _ov_open1
  00002f90 t _ov_open2
  00003690 T ov_open_callbacks
  digbyt@fujitsu:~/work/audio$ nm /usr/lib/libvorbisfile.a | grep ov_info
  000003e0 T ov_info

Anyone see where I am going wrong there?

Regards,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com