Re: PGP Keyservers being glacially slow, lately

On Tue, 2007-01-30 at 07:48 -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 01/29/07 22:01, s. keeling wrote:
> > Greg Folkert <greg@gregfolkert.net>:
> >>  Has anyone noticed that as of about 3 weeks ago, that keyservers that
> >>  are typically used (MITs and the other usual candidates) are responding
> >>  terribly, horrifically slow. If they respond at all, timing out is
> >>  becoming more and more frequent.
> >
> > Nope:
> >
> > (0) heretic /home/keeling_ time gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys AC94E4B7
> > gpg: requesting key AC94E4B7 from hkp server subkeys.pgp.net
> > gpg: key AC94E4B7: "s. keeling (21Dec2003) <keeling@spots.ab.ca>" not changed
> > gpg: Total number processed: 1
> > gpg:              unchanged: 1
> > gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys AC94E4B7
> >   0.03s user 0.01s system 5% cpu 0.605 total
>
> Your test was possibly not valid.  Note the difference in speeds
> between when I, moments apart, fetched your keys.
>
> $ time gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys AC94E4B7
> gpg: requesting key AC94E4B7 from hkp server subkeys.pgp.net
> gpg: key AC94E4B7: "s. keeling (21Dec2003) <keeling@spots.ab.ca>"
> not changed
> gpg: Total number processed: 1
> gpg:              unchanged: 1
>
> real    0m17.315s
> user    0m0.018s
> sys     0m0.007s
>
> $ time gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys AC94E4B7
> gpg: requesting key AC94E4B7 from hkp server subkeys.pgp.net
> gpg: key AC94E4B7: "s. keeling (21Dec2003) <keeling@spots.ab.ca>"
> not changed
> gpg: Total number processed: 1
> gpg:              unchanged: 1
>
> real    0m0.374s
> user    0m0.018s
> sys     0m0.004s
>
> > Who's your provider?
>
> Cox, which is fast enough that on good nights I get 700KBps download
> speeds from kernel.org.

I get that every once in a while now. But it is FAR better than I was
getting with my other key servers I was using. I was getting - near 2
minute response time or even timeouts. I can deal with a few 10+ second
response times.

I have Comcastic! Meh... crappy. I only get 1100KB/sec from kernel.org
and giganews.com.

For all the BAD things about Comcast, I can say that, when it is working
well it _DOES_ in fact work quite well. Though, DNS is nearly always
SCREWED.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup