Re: Best way to shrink Windows on new laptop?

Anthony Campbell wrote:
> I'm getting a new Thinkpad Z61M and shall be installing Debian
> (naturally!).
>
> I'd therefore like to keep Windows, at least for the moment, so I'll
> need to shrink its partition. Two questions:
>
> a. How small could its partition be? Would 10 GB be enough, or too much?

10 sounds about right; if it's only Windows, you can get by with less.
If it includes a "standard" set of apps, ten is about right. If it
includes large apps or many profiles or large profiles (with A/V files,
etc), you'll need more.

> b. 3.5: If I understand the Debian Installation manual correctly, I can
> do this by simply selecting a different size for the partition during
> the installation process.
>
> 	"If your machine has a FAT or NTFS filesystem, as used by DOS
> 	and Windows, you can wait and use Debian installer's
> 	partitioning program to resize the filesystem."
>
> Won't this destroy all the Windows stuff?

I'm unfamiliar with a resizing option in the Debian installer (but then,
I don't install it very often).

You can use parted/QParted to (more-or-less "safely) resize a partition.
I'd boot off a Knoppix CD and try QParted to resize the partition. Worst
that can happen at this point is that you'll corrupt the Windows
partition and have to reinstall Windows (or rerun the System Restore
CD); I would think the Thinkpad came with some method of restoring
Windows. Make sure you can restore Windows before messing with the
partition table. (And make sure you don't have any unbacked-up data on
the drive you don't want to risk).

Or, assuming you've taken adequate precautions, try out the installer's
partitioning program; it'll be a good education for you to see how well
it works.

--
Kent West
Westing Peacefully <http://kentwest.blogspot.com>