Adaptec 1540CF (aha1542) not detected

greetings... :)

I am trying to install etch RC1 on a old machine with an Adaptec aha1540CF ISA SCSI card, but cannot seem to get debian to detect the controller.

My system:
ASUS P2-99 with 433MHz Intel
256MB ram
AGP 4MB vid card
1 - 40 GB IDE HDD
Adaptec 1540CF with SCSI CDROM attached.

I have pulled all other cards from the system, have tried this with the IDE HDD disconnected, and have tried different SCSI CD-ROMs.

The aha1540 does NOT boot CDs well (seems to use some sort of floppy emulation that does not work with most bootable CDs). So I am trying to install using the boot floppies (boot.img, root.img, cd-drivers.img). However, the installer cannot detect my SCSI CDROM. I try to choose it manually, but no such device seems to be listed in /dev (looking for /dev/sr0 or some such)

I have tried the boot option:
aha1542.aha1542=0x<base_address>

I have tried setting the card at all different addresses (from 0x130 to 0x330), all different DMA channels and IRQs, but to no avail. I have even read through the module source code in aha1542.c, but found no solution.

I should note that I have tried other distros with the same results (pcLinuxOS, sysrescuecd). The aha1540cf is apparently not detected.

any thoughts?

I have read through the archives. The aha154x is mentioned a number of times, but people seem to be able to get it working by changing the card address, specifying aha1542=xxx as a boot option, etc.

Unfortunately, I do not have a SCSI HDD to test the problem, just a bunch of different SCSI CDROMs/CDRWs. Can anyone tell me how to see if linux is at least seeing the controller itself, if not the CDROM?

(also, I don't believe it is bad hardware, because I've done test installs of WinXP and it seems to work fine) just cannot get linux to see it! :(

any thoughts or experiences?
thanks!

Turn searches into helpful donations. Make your search count. http://click4thecause.live.com/search/charity/default.aspx?source=hmemtagline_donation&FORM=WLMTAG