Sendmail's greet_pause

Hello all,

We have been using Sendmail's feature "greet_pause" for quit some time and
have been happy with this feature. But as of late I'm wondering if this
feature is having a problem on our mail server.

I've been seeing a LOT of mail servers rejected because "due to
pre-greeting traffic". What is strange is I have seen rejection on a
mail server one time then the next time it is OK with the same mail
server. And some of these servers I would not suspect of slamming.

Has anyone else noticed these problems with sendmail's greet_pause
feature? Any suggestions (besides use another MTA) would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken