Re: getting broadband working on my new AMD64 box....

[This message has also been posted to linux.debian.user.]
In article <7HJCj-17k-7@gated-at.bofh.it>, Michael Fothergill wrote:
>  [new install, Internet "not working"]
> My old box is an AMD Duron 1200 Mhz 32 bit machine which is running Etch
> i386.  The internet connection works fine on it.
>
> I use NTL broadband cable [NTL's cable box at eth0].

heh.  This is in my rbldnsd file:
86.0/11         ; ntl.com cable modem users .UK (0-31)
; 86.2/15               ; cable/broadband.ntl.com CPE
; 86.6/15               ; cable.ntl.com CPE

Apparently some of your neighbors are hosting spam bots.

> I also looked in the network configuration box in the network admin icon.  I
> found that the DNS server numbers for NTL are 194.168.4.100 and
> 194.168.8.100.

There are still thousands of wide open name servers on the net.
My advice is find a few that work, and make a static /etc/resolv.conf.
Then when your consumer broadband vendor's name servers fail
you can still see.  Get everything else working.  Then go back
and try the name servers NTL *wants* you to use.
This way you are only troubleshooting one thing at a time.
Acquiring name servers via DHCP is convenient, but it's
one more thing that can fail.

To find some open name servers, try the ones shown in Whois
or host -t ns, for a dozen random domains.
(*cough* mmu.ac.uk *cough* bbc.co.uk *cough* tees.ac.uk *cough*)

> I also ran ifconfig as follows:
>
> mikef@spc1-burn4-0-0-cust262:~$ /sbin/ifconfig | grep -A 1 eth
> eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:02:44:33:AD:C3
>           inet addr:86.22.11.90  Bcast:255.255.255.255  Mask:255.255.252.0
>--
> eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0A:E6:0C:AE:D4
>           UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>
> My question is: what is the best use of this information when I disconnect
> the old box and plug in the new one to help it hook up to NTL?
> I could just put the DNS numbers in the network admin window for example.

That might not work.  The new box has a different MAC address ("HWaddr")
and NTL may want to give it a different IP address.  If you're
supposed to use DHCP, use it to get the right IPA.  Just be
skeptical of the rest of the stuff it tells you.

The other thing you might ask the old box about is

  /sbin/route -n | grep G

to find out where the gateway is for destinations beyond
your network segment.  If your link is up, you can ping it.

Cameron