Re: USB Flash Memory permissions

On Sun, 2007-01-28 at 20:07 +0000, John Talbut wrote:
> Am I right in understanding that you are suggesting I go the the g-v-m source
> code, alter that and then recompile it?  If so, I have some difficulties: I only
> download the .deb packages so for the moment I do not have the source code, I
> think I would not know what I was doing sufficiently well and it seems a bit of
> a sledgehammer to crack a nut!

Pretty much yeah. It's not a difficult process, but I understand if
you're hesitant to try it if you haven't done it before.

As for getting the source, that's not hard (and one of the great
benefits of Debian), "apt-get source packagename" will download the
source and extract it in the current directory.

(You will need the appropriate deb-src lines in sources.list of course)

> Looking at the g-v-m binary suggests that what it does with pmount is just to
> take the settings it is provided with.  I appreciate that there is probably a
> workaround possible involving getting g-v-m to ignore some settings.  However, I
> would prefer to do it "properly" by locating the setting in the appropriate
> configuration file.  But, back to my original question, where is it?

I could be wrong, but I don't think one exists. Some of the settings are
taken from the hal policy for the device in question (for example, if
it's a usb stick or not) and the rest, I guess are hard coded in g-v-m.

The best work around is probably simply to stick your preferred settings
for /dev/myFlash in /etc/fstab and I think those settings will be
respected.

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson