Re: sound card problem

On Sunday 28 January 2007 21:10, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 12:21:36AM -0600, anthony givens wrote:
> > I have a als62m sound card the chip is a als4000 chip I can't configure
> > it for sound I try looking in different places (like linuxquestions and
> > other places )and can't configure my sound card the error message I get
> > is device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such device) one do I need to
> > upgrade my kernel from 2.4.27-2-386 to 2.6  thank you for your help
>
> I'm not a DD so take a grain of salt with this.  However, as I recall:
>
>  /dev/dsp is part of OSS
>
>  OSS is out and ALSA is in as part of the kernel itself
>
>  ALSA needs a 2.6 kernel.

With respect, thats not really true, because I've just rebooted my Etch
install to the 2.4.27-2-386 kernel and Alsa works with no problems.
Personally I liked the 2.4 kernel, as it has a separate
Alsa-modules-2.4.27-2-386 package, and the Alsa driver was updated more often
than the Alsa driver that came with the 2.6 kernel.

>  2.4 Kernel is out and 2.6 is in re moving forward.
>
>  Etch will soon be stable and it has to use 2.6 with udev.
>

> Tackle the kernel upgrade first and by itself.
>
> Ditto udev.
>
> Install all things Alsa

Agreed. The Alsa stuff I have installed is, Alsa-base, Alsa-oss, Alsa-utils,
and obviously for the 2.4 .27 kernel, the Alsa-modules-2.4.27-2-386 package.

> run alsaconf.

If Alsaconf picks up your card ok you can see if it's truly there by running.
cat /proc/asound/cards
Running. cat /proc/asound/version will show you the Alsa driver version.
Alsamixer is often initially muted when a card is first setup, so open
alsamixer on the CLI as user. Your card appears to be supported, but I don't
know what controls you will see on your alsamixer. Mine for the Audigy2
soundblaster shows "Master", "PCM", and "Front", as the main sliders to get
some sound out. Also look on alsamixer for controls that are muted. The "M"
key toggles the mute/unmute.

Apologies for poking my nose in on this thread.

Nigel.

> Search these archives (google on site:lists.debian.org alsa 2.6 udev).
>
> If you still have problems, ask here.
>
> Personally, I'm running Etch.  All I had to do to get sound working was
> install the alsa stuff.
btw:
I can't say it went so easy for me, perhaps because I've also got a usb midi
keyboard, and usb on bootup starts early, and messes with the soundcard
and consequently the real soundcard was set as card1, resulting in no sound.
It meant setting some index options for the soundcard (snd-emu10k1), and for
the usb midi keyboard using (snd-usb-audio).