Re: From unstable to Etch

macondo <ironwindow2001@yahoo.com> writes:
> --- Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
>> On 01/28/07 08:21, Robert Epprecht wrote:

>> > I have a Debian/unstable installation which is now used by other
>> > family members, so I want to switch it to Etch (now or when Etch
>> > becomes stable).  I do not care too much if some things would
>> > not be exactly like in the coming stable Etch release, but
>> > I do want security updates (without the danger of destroying
>> > the system by an update).
>> >
>> > I do know that downgrading is not really supported by aptitude,
>> > but I think that these days where Etch will soon become stable I
>> > could probably just change my /etc/apt/sources.list to point
>> > to Etch instead of unstable
>> > and have more or less an Etch system after a while (I'm using
>> > aptitude and the sid system is up to date).
>> >
>> > Or is there more involved? When is the best time to do the switch?

>> If /home is on a separate partition (it is, *right*?), then I'd
>> just reinstall from scratch. It'll probably be faster.

Yes, on another machine I would go that route, but not on this one:
I have installed Debian (and some other Linux systems) many times
an many different machines and never encountered big problems except
on this machine, which for some strange reason is a nightmare to install
an OS on. I had so many problems with it that I can't remember what
the main problems where.  Once (some years ago) I had tried an Debian
unstable installation, which was only meant as a test as I wasn't able
to install woody (or later on sarge) on it. It's the only successful
Debian install I was ever able to do on this crazy machine (beside a
Fedora system, which I do not like too much)

I have a couple of partitions and will try an etch install later on,
but I do not want to lose my working sid system... Well I can always
clone it to another partition and try to downgrade it to etch.

> Before you install from scratch, try this, it worked for me:
> http://bertgarcia.com/2006/10/03/giga-meet-etch

That's about the way I thought it should work. Why is the pinning needed?

> you have nothing to lose :)
see above ;-)

Thanks,
Robert Epprecht