xorg mouse/touchpad issues on a sony laptop

I have just done an install on a Sony r505 laptop and have some issues
that I have never seen concerning the touchpad.

Pointer motion is painfully slow.  I have tried reconfiguring the
xserver, changing the corepointer from the configured mouse to the
synaptics, changing the acceleration in gnome to 50... all with no
effect.

I cannot think of anywhere else to look.  Seems the last time I did an
install there were more mouse options during xserver configuration.  The
only real options I saw was the ImPS/2 or ExplorerPS/2 choice.  I tried
both with no difference.

I can send more information (version numbers, relevant sections of the
xorg.conf file) if necessary.

Thanks,
rdc
--
Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@comcast.net

  An Irishman is never at peace except when he's fighting.