Re: random quirkyness

On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 02:41:40PM -0600, Mike Myers wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm still trying to adjust from Gentoo's way of doing things (do it
> manually) to debian's (apt-something) way.  So far everything has been
> great, but i'm having trouble finding docs on a couple of issues I'm
> having.  Both of them seem related to modules.
>
> First one is with the nvidia driver.  It seems like everytime my debian box
> is rebooted, I have to re-apt-get nvidia-glx before I can use xorg.  Also,
> GDM doesn't seem to like my 1440x900 (widescreen) resolution and I can't
> seem to do anything about it other than just not use GDM (not that ditching
> it is a big deal).

Hi Mike,

I also run nvidia drivers, etch amd64, and the documentation isn't easy
to track down yet.  It comes down to having all the pacakges installed
that you need.  Once that's done it really does work.  Here's what I
have:

nvidia-kernel-2.6-amd64
	the metapackage that depends on the same kernel as
	linux-image-2.6-amd64 and on the matching nvidia-kernel modules

nvidia-kernel-2.6.18-3-amd64

nvidia-glx
	the xorg driver that depends on the nvidia kernel module

The one you're missing:
nvidia-xconfig
	it changes the xorg.conf file to use the nvidia driver and it
	ensures that the module is loaded and that everything works as
	it should.

Install that and everything should work.  By the way, the only two lines
in my /etc/modules file are:
	loop
	sbp2

Good luck