Re: Etch display problem

Default User wrote:
> I just installed Etch Testing using the Netinst CD.  Upon bootup, the
> GDM dialog box appears, X starts with a rapidly vibrating image....

<snip>
> Obviously, this is annoying, but here's what I really worry about:  the
> computer is running while I'm away (maybe all day), and an all too
> frequent temporary electrical power outage occurs.  When the power comes
> back on, the computer dutifully reboots, stalling at the GDM log in
> point.  It then spends hours frying the monitor and/or graphics card . .
> .  or worse.  Much worse.
>
> Is there a solution?

I don't know the real solution (other than tinkering with
/etc/X11/xorg.conf until the real problem is fixed), but a work-around
is simply to de-activate the automatic startup of X. Uninstall [xwgk]dm.
Then just run "startx" when you want to start X.

--
Kent West
Westing Peacefully <http://kentwest.blogspot.com>