NETDEV WATCHDOG messages

Hello!

Since about one week I receive at irregular intervals messages like the following at the console (tty1) and in kern.log:

NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
eth0: Transmit timed out, status 0000, PHY status 786d, resetting...
eth0: Setting full-duplex based on MII #1 link partner capability of 41e1

Sometimes there is also:

eth0: Reset not complete yet. Trying harder.

before "Setting full-duplex...".

The box is running an uptodate sarge with the latest (as provided by debian) 2.4.27 kernel. The ethernet card (as reported at boot) is VIA VT6102 Rhine-II.

I do not now how serious I should take this. Any hints are welcome!

Best regards,

Serban