Re: Possible New User - Intro

On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 02:46:00PM -0800, Kevin Ross wrote:

> Building your own Debian packages is actually quite easy.  See:
>
> http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/336

That is part 1, which only discusses setting up the build environment.
Part 2 has the rest:  http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/337

> If you're just grabbing the latest upstream tarball,
> there's really no need to build a package.  The only real benefit
> of creating a package is to share with someone.  Just do the
> usual, untar, make, and make install.  You can install all
> of your locally built stuff into /usr/local/... without any
> problems at all.
>
> However, if you want to share your packages with others, so
> that they can just install without having to build from source
> like you did, then by all means, build a package and share!

Actually, I package software that I have no intention of keeping.  The
primary reason is that it ensures that things like upgrades don't leave
cruft.  It also ensures that if I decide to remove the package, it gets
all the bits and pieces.  It also means that if I want to install the
software on more than one machine, I have an easy and portable way of
moving it around.

Regards,

-Roberto

--