Re: Possible New User - Intro

On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 10:22:55AM -0600, Kevin Monceaux wrote:
> Fellow Debian Enthusiasts,
>
> I'm teetering on the fence between Arch Linux and Debian Linux.  So, I
> thought I'd post an intro in hopes that someone will give me a gentle nudge
> in the right direction.  Forgive me if I ramble a bit.

nudge ----> debian.

there you go. ;-)

[snipped stuff about tracking a more recent upstream package]

you are right, etch is MUCH more up-to-date than sarge, but is now
already falling behind as it is in "Freeze" before release as
stable. That means the new version of your desired package (Hercules)
will almost certainly *NOT* be in etch. You sound like you are
experienced enough that you might think about running "sid",
"unstable" debian. Its does break now and then, but really keeps up
very well.

The thing to remember about Debian -- when a release goes "Stable"
then it doesn't change, except for security fixes. So if you install
etch, you will NEVER see a new version of Hercules other than security
patches. You can certainly run a mixed system using a "Stable"
installation and then various packages from "testing" and
"unstable". This is a complicated setup and *can* break if there is a
major library change in the newer releases. Also you can run backports
of various packages, if they are available. YOu can also pull the
source from testing or unstable and build your own backports.

IOW, the possibilities are limitless.