Re: Switching to amd64 - is it worth it?

On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 08:42 -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:

> For a home user, doing "home things" and only probably 1GB or less
> of RAM, and the aforementioned hassles running Flash (and acroread),
> I vote: stay with i386.
>
> OTOH, if this were your *workstation*, and you were doing lots of
> compiling, or running statistical analyses, etc, etc, etc, then go
> with amd64.
>
> It goes without saying that you should go amd64 on your servers.

Hmm, I say that the workload and specific tasks determine 32-bit or
64-bit. Servers in general can be either.

I have an HP Proliant DL145 G2 with an Opteron. I am running a -k7
kernel on this machine. IOW 32-Bit Debian Sid, not 64-Bit. I see many
applications having bit-alignment errors in 64-bit environments. This
then increases problems in unexpected areas. When I run into a
requirement, I'll switch.

But, there many reasons to go with 64-bit, massive memory requirements,
tremendous processing, tons of IO... in general extreme requirements,
require 64-bit environments at the moment.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster:  Linux