Re: Doing administrative work

On Monday, 22.01.2007 at 09:11 -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 10:07:19AM +0000, Dave Ewart wrote:
> > as root.  The system is never used in a non-root context.
> > Therefore, to manage this system I set up no further users other
> > than root, and install my SSH key in root's account, then
> > reconfigure SSHd to allow root logins via key only (so that even
> > someone knowing the root password is unable to login via SSH, unless
> > it's me with my SSH key); I have
>
> I certainly hope that you have a strong passphrase on the private key
> and that you have good physical protection of the host which contains
> the private key.

That's an absolute necessity, yes.  I would never consider such an
approach if the 'client' machine was in an insecure location, or
'remote' (which is the same thing, in my eyes).

> > The above example flies in the face of the usual advice, but that's
> > because the circumstances are different and possibly rather extreme.
> > I don't really need accountability, because I'm the only one with
> > access.  "Adding a non-privileged user and using sudo" would
> > actually provide less security, because it is adding an additional
> > potentially-compromisable account to the server.
> >
> I don't agree.  If you take the same precautions and only allow public
> key logins for the unpriviledged users, then you have exactly the same
> level of vulnerability.  If you then *completely* disallow remote root
> login, then you have lowered your vulnerability even more since the
> potential remote attacker would need to first compromise the private
> key and passphrase for the unpriviledged account and then *still* need
> to figure out the root password or some other means of gaining root
> access locally.

Yes, your point is correct, although see below about 'convenience'.

> > I'm sure I'm opening myself to some criticism by mentioning the
> > above; please *read* what I've written before replying with "You
> > shouldn't ever use root directly", because I don't believe that's an
> > appropriate criticism in this case. ;-)
>
> I did *read* it, BTW.  I just think that your rationale that you are
> just as safe as using only an unpriviledged user account is wrong.
> Now, if you only accessed the machine locally, then you might have a
> point.  However, for anything that allows remote access across an
> untrusted and/or public network, your approach is slightly more
> vulnerable than it needs to be.

Thanks for reading and understanding my point.

To be honest, I tend to use this approach on private LANs or in
conjunction with additional security measures (such as VPN).  I think
your point is valid: however, given the environment in which I would use
such as setup, the 'convenience' factor makes it worthwhile.

> > As always, so long as one properly considers the implications and
> > carefully assesses the risks versus conveniences of any particular
> > setup, you should do fine.
> >
> Good point.  Many people seem to forget that the driver for taking a
> risk should be "the potential bad things that can happen if anything
> goes wrong" versus "the benefit I gain from taking the risk."

Absolutely.  It would be nice if this approach was more widespread ;-)

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Please don't CC me on list messages!