Re: HAL (was "Why there is no space left on root partition?")

Ken Heard wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:

Are these packages installed:
hal
hal-device-manager
libhal-storage1
libhal1

This is my first exposure to the HAL package, the Hardware Extraction Layer. It is not installed in my box.

The HAL description in aptitude reads as follows:

"HAL provides an abstract view on hardware. . This abstraction layer is simply an interface that makes it possible to add support for new devices and new ways of connecting devices to the computer, without modifying every application that uses the device. It maintains a list of devices that currently exist, and can provide information about those upon request."

Since I do not have it installed I don't know what I am missing. Does it do anything that other commands and packages do not do? If so, does HAL do it better? In short, is HAL worth installing?

				Ken Heard
				Toronto, Canada

It seems to be currently used only for removable storage devices:

# apt-cache rdepends hal
hal
Reverse Depends:
  pmount