Re: Debian Kernel versions question

On Sat, Jan 20, 2007 at 04:44:26PM -0500, Stephen wrote:
> I dist-upgraded to Etch today, and all went well. Congrats to the "Team"!
>
> What is the difference between the following deb names (besides kernel version)
> ?
>
> 	%@server01:~$ aptitude show linux-image-2.6.18-3-686
> 	%@server01:~$ aptitude show kernel-image-2.6.8-2-686
>
> I read what 'aptitude show' regurgitates, but I'm puzzled as to which I should
> use going forward. FWIW I have a "kernel-image* installed.

Hi Stephen,

My understanding is that there was a naming convention change.  Kernels
used to be kernen-image... and they were all linux kernels.  Now that
there's thought being given to having a choice of kernels (Linux, HURD,
etc), this naming convention has changed.  Now a linux kernel is
linux-image although the numbering convention is the same.  So I would
think that linux-image-2.6.18-3 is more recent than
kernel-image-2.6.8-2.

To answer your last question, you should go with linux-image if you want
to use a Linux kernel.  For me, running an AMD Athlon on Etch amd64, I
have installed:
	linux-image-amd64, which depends on
	linux-image-2.6-amd64, which depends on
	linux-image-2.6.18-3-amd64 (the actual kernel image and all its
		depends).

The first means that when 2.8 comes out, I should get that listed as an
upgradeable package in aptitude.

The second means that when a 2.6 newer than 18-3 comes out, I should get
that.

The third is my current running kernel.

I also have the kernel that was installed when I installed Etch RC1:
	linux-image-2.6.17-2-amd64 which is listed under Obsolete and
	Locally Created Packages.  Nothing depends on this but nothing
	wanted to remove it when I got the 2.6.18 kernel.

I hope this helps to clear things up.

Doug.