Re: chroot question

On Jan 20, 2007, at 2:37 PM, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:

On Sat, Jan 20, 2007 at 05:47:36PM +0000, Anton Piatek wrote:
Hi,
I have a amd64 install of debian with a 32bit chroot for a couple of apps.
This works great, but I have a question.

Is it possible to have an application inside the 32bit chroot launch an application on my main 64 bit system? (e.g. a photo browsing program in the 32bit chroot launching gimp, which is installed in my main 64 bit system). I currently launch my 32bit programs with schroot and am hoping I can set
something to make specific programs outside the chroot available...

I cannot think of how this can be achieved, so any ideas are welcomed.

I've never played with chroot but if you add ssh to the chroot could you
ssh the main box from within the chroot?  If so, you could set up ssh
with public-key so no passwords were required and it would be
transparent.

I wonder.

Doug.

That might work. Here's another way that might be a little less resource intensive but would require some development effort to package-up for easy use:

Create a named-pipe (also called "fifo" -- see "man fifo") in the / tmp directory of the chroot area. This will be available to the 32- bit processes inside the chroot and also to the 64-bit processes (because the chroot area is a subset of the main 64-bit file-system space). Write to it in the 32-bit area and read from it in the 64- bit area. If you need full-duplex communication, you'll have to have two pipes (I think.)

I haven't tried it myself, but it should work.

Rick