Re: how make the debian bootable

On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 12:59:21PM -0800, ann kok wrote:
> Hi Andrew

Hi

> thank you

you're welcome.
please don't top post. thanks.

> could you give me more info?

sure, but we need more info too... what specifically are you trying to
do? It sounds like you're trying to duplicate a system onto a new disk
and boot from the the new disk. is this correct?

> i try to fdisk the 1st hardrive and can't see any
> bootable flag on it!

yeah, Andre is right, that's okay, provided you have a bootloader
(LILO or GrUB) installed to the master boot record (MBR) of the disc.

> But i did try to set the bootable flag on the 2nd
> harddrive. but it also can't boot!

that's most likely because you don't have a boot loader install.

> how can I install the bootloader on the 2nd harddrive?
> can you give me more info?

several ways to do this. start by reading the docs on whatever
bootloader you want to use. you can install the bootloader from the
current system to have it install itself on the new disk, but this
requires some monkey-business with making sure the drives a properly
named. you could also chroot into the new system and run the
bootloader from inside it.

what bootloader are you using on the current system?

> This is the 1st harddrive
>
> The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 9729.
> There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger
> than 1024,
> and could in certain setups cause problems with:
> 1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions
> of LILO)
> 2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
>    (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

do you need to deal with these issues? because if not, don't worry
about it.

[snipped a perfectly fine partition table]