Re: Debian on Toshiba 2500CDS

Francis Healy wrote:
*/Mitchell Verter <mitchell.verter@gmail.com>/* wrote:

    I just got a great deal on a Toshiba 2500CDS:

    The seller told me that he does not know the user/password.  Is there a
    way to crack this?

    If not, what would be a good Debian distribution to install and from
    where would I download it?  It is not a recent machine, 256MB, 2GB Hard
    Drive, 233 MHz Pentium processor.
    http://209.167.114.38/ISG/pastproducts/html/satellite/satellite_2500cds_spec.html
    <http://209.167.114.38/ISG/pastproducts/html/satellite/satellite_2500cds_spec.html>

    Also, any thoughts about putting Windows NT on a second partition?
    Will I be able to run XP programs on NT?  Where can I get a copy of NT?

    Thanks in advance for any advice

    Yours,
    Mitch

If your sure it was not stolen, there is a utility to blank the password that works on Windows 2000 and XP. I haven't tried it on windows NT but it will likely work. It is linux based and can be used from either a floppy or CD. You can download it here: http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/

How would ntpasswd know whether the unit was stolen?

Hugo