Re: Debian on Toshiba 2500CDS?

On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 10:36:33AM +1100, Ivan Teliatnikov wrote:
> Consider getting a http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/download.html
> It is tiny linux OS around 50-100MB, you can always boot any machine
> from this CD, mount file system and change files manually.

Hi Mitch,

Currently, on my 486 with 32 MB ram, I run Sarge.  Note that I couldn't
run the Sarge installer so I used the woody installer and upgraded from
there.  Once Etch is stable I'll try that so that I know.

I would suggest a daily-build Etch (follow the links from the debian
website, releases info, testing).

Use the regular text-mode installer (just install, not install-gui).
And when you get to tasksel do not select a desktop.

My 486 uses the icewm window manager.  Mozilla and other bloated
browsers are very slow but I've used them on a PII-233 with 64 MB ram
with no problem.  For non-java or https pages, I just use dillo.

In any event, if this is your first exposure to linux or debian, start
with the installation manual for the version that you choose, also
available from the web site.  Spend some time exploring the
documentation section of the web site.

If you run into difficulty, come back here and ask.

Doug.