Re: software for making a web site......

On Monday 15 January 2007 18:21, Michael Fothergill wrote:
> >From: Hal Vaughan <hal@thresholddigital.com>
> >To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> >CC: "Michael Fothergill" <mikef20000@hotmail.com>
> >Subject: Re: software for making a web site......
> >Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 17:57:36 -0500
> >
> >On Monday 15 January 2007 17:31, Michael Fothergill wrote:
> > > Dear Debianists,
> > >
> > > I have been wondering about making a web site where I could offer
> > > people help installing Fedora on their PCs.....
> >
> >There are MANY sites to help people installing any distro of Linux
> > on their computers.  While this is an admirable idea, consider the
> > amount of effort it would take to create a web site, host it, and
> > maintain it. Wouldn't it be more effective to use that effort to
> > directly help others in forums and on mailing lists and on other
> > sites that already do this?
>
> That is not quite what I meant.  Contributing to these sites is
> helpful but it is not quite what I had in mind.  When I first
> installed Linux o a PC, it was Red Hat 6.2 and I had telephone
> support from a Red Hat engineer.  This was a great help at the time.
>
> What I am interested to do (in theory) is to offer telephone
> consultancy in the same way, but at a lower cost than e.g. Red Hat.
>
> I would use a phone line that charges the fee......

Okay, I was taking you for what you said, a website.  A phone bank for
incoming calls is an entirely different matter.  That's a quagmire I
wouldn't want to get into, but, hey, I've been busting my butt to set
up a business that is automated so I can make money without having to
continue to work.  I'm lazy and don't like business models that require
a fair number of employees.

> So it would not be free.  But based on my experience for people new
> to Linux it would be helpful in combination with getting help from
> user groups and web sites.
>
> When I got the telephone support it was incredibly effective.  The
> guy anticipated every aspect of the installation and it went like a
> breeze.
>
> For a complete newbie it would be the equivalent of several hours and
> even days of submitting queries on user groups and reading
> manuals.....
>
> The idea would be to "jump start" them in a fair way.
>
> Comments appreciated.

Hey, you asked for comments, you've got mine.  Personally, I don't see
how you can effectively do this unless you start a business and hire a
bunch of RHCEs for your phone staff.

Hal