Re: Problem: ICH7 stalls on transfer from PATA to SATA

Update: it seems I was off track. Simultaneous reading from a PATA and SATA drive (diff on 1GB files) does NOT slow down the computer. Also, and more importantly, file transfers from one SATA partition to another DOES slow down the computer. Furthermore, a transfer from a SATA partition to the PATA drive does not slow down the computer.

So it seems my problem is that when the computer wants to WRITE to my SATA partitions, it come to a near total halt.

My setup is as such...

sdb3 and sdc3 are 10GB each. They are each half of a RAID0 array. They become /dev/md10. md10 is formatted with XFS. This contains my root partition.

sdb5 and sdc5 are 220GB each. They are also each half of a RAID0 array called /dev/md11. This is also formatted with XFS and is a storage drive mounted in /mnt.

So in short I have partitions on 2 SATA drives RAID0'ed with the XFS file system and writing large files to these partitions brings the system to it's knees, but read actions do not.

Anyone have any ideas? Odds are I'll probably forgo the RAID0, as it is far more of a pain than any performance boost benefit, but I'd like to figure out what went wrong.

Peter

xfs_info /
meta-data=/dev/md10              isize=256    agcount=16, agsize=610688 blks
        =                       sectsz=512   attr=0
data     =                       bsize=4096   blocks=9771008, imaxpct=25
        =                       sunit=128    swidth=256 blks, unwritten=1
naming   =version 2              bsize=4096
log      =internal               bsize=4096   blocks=4864, version=1
        =                       sectsz=512   sunit=0 blks
realtime =none                   extsz=1048576 blocks=0, rtextents=0

xfs_info /mnt/md-files/
meta-data=/dev/md/11 isize=256 agcount=16, agsize=6956928 blks
        =                       sectsz=512   attr=0
data     =                       bsize=4096   blocks=111310080, imaxpct=25
        =                       sunit=128    swidth=256 blks, unwritten=1
naming   =version 2              bsize=4096
log      =internal               bsize=4096   blocks=32768, version=1