Re: SMTP server

On Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 05:59:57PM +0100, Danesh Daroui wrote:
> Thanks. I am newbie in Mail Servers. I thought that postfix is usually
> used to set up a pop3 server and therefore a domain should be set up
> using bind. Is it possible to just use it as SMTP server for simple
> outgoing mails?

Yes.  But beware that unless you are on static IP on a "business class"
account from your ISP, that your IP is likely flagged as part of a
dynamic residential pool and you will likely encounter one or more of
these problems:

* listed in black lists for sending spam (because a previous person on
  that IP may have done so)
* rejection by mail servers which refuse to accept mail originating from
  dynamic IPs
* listing of your source domain at http://www.rfc-ignorant.org/ if you
  misconfigure things like your MX records, postmaster and abuse
  addresses

You might be better off paying for an email hosting service (they are
relatively inexpensive) and saving yourself lots of hassle.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez