Re: Making KDE default desktop environment

On Sun, Jan 14, 2007 at 07:57:13PM -0500, Ken Heard wrote:
> I have installed Etch RC1 on my Toshiba Tecra 8000 laptop.
> Unfortunately Gnome is the default DE which Etch installs.  I downloaded
> and installed KDE, but I do not know how to make KDE the default DE
> instead of Gnome.  I looked all over but could find nothing on line to
> help me.  If anyone knows how to do what I want to do, I would
> appreciate it if s/he would share the knowledge.

Hi Ken,

update-alternatives --display x-window-manager

there is a display mananger (wdm,xdm,gdm,kdm) that starts a session.
There are sessions for kwin,metacity,etc.(window managers).
Or the session can pick the default window-manager with the
debian 'alternative' for 'x-window-manager'. So if this is set, that will be
used with the default session.

ls -l /etc/alternatives/x-window-manager
will show the result.

HTH,
Kev
| : :' :      The  Universal     |   'under construction'   |
|   my keysever: subkeys.pgp.net |     my NPO: cfsg.org     |