Re: Linux Drivers, The Kernel, and a Driver List

On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 10:50:19PM -0500, Grok Mogger wrote:

> My goal is ultimately the following.  I want to be able to say
> "I'm interested in getting a Super Device 4000" and then go
> through whatever steps I need to verify that it will or won't
> work before I even try it.  I'd like to at least understand how
> I could theoretically do that, even if it isn't always possible
> to accomplish.

There's no way that one person, however tallented, could have the time
to check each new device (and all the permutations) against existing
kernel modules.  There just aren't enough seconds in the day.  This is
swimming upstream.

Try swimming downstream.  A WizzBang Mach 2 comes out.  Some brave soul
says "I'll try that on my Linux box".  Three outcomes:

	1)	It works.  Nothing to do, no email to send, so nothing
		that anyone else wanting to try it can google on.

	2)	It doesn't work.  Brave Soul doesn't, for whatever
		reason, persue it.  Just either returns it or waits
		until there is support.

	3.	It doesn't work, sends an email to a Linux list
		somewhere.  Now there's something to google on.

So what the user does is figure out what they want, then decide if they
need bleeding-edge or can work with slightly older-tech.  Then google
it:
	wizbang linux OR debian

and see what comes back, and possibly refines the search.

If nothing negative turns up, check the return policy of the store.

Also remember that if your Debian Stable is getting a little long in the
tooth, you may need to go to Testing to get support for newer hardware.
Another reason to stay away from bleeding edge unless you are
comfortable with testing.

YMMV.

Good hunting.

Doug.