Re: Cannot get to KDE (X error)

Hi,

Finally I fixed it!   If anyone has this problem, what I have done is to run "apt-get remove --purge nvidia-glx". As it seems, this was conflicting with the nvidia driver.

2007/1/14, Florian Kulzer <florian@molphys.leidenuniv.nl>:
On Sun, Jan 14, 2007 at 17:15:35 +0100, Jaume Alonso wrote:
> I'm sorry for my top-posting and my lack of quotations. I've tryed to make
> it better, but I'm not actually subscribed to the list (I think I'm going to
> do it right now) and I'm reading your messages through the
> debian-mailing-list-archive.

You can ask for a CC if you are not subscribed. The problem is that
people tend to forget the CC when the thread runs for a longer time.
Using gmane (http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.user) might be a
more convenient way to participate if you do not want to subscribe.

I get the feeling that we have a misunderstanding about top-posting;
please see http://people.cornell.edu/pages/kk288/du-guidelines.html for
an explanation.

>                              I've restarted the computer and I got the
> error. Then I rebooted the computer (it locks totally) and I run a Knoppix
> on a DVD and I copied the Xorg.0.log file. As far as I could see, the file
> is like the other one, but at some point it stops. I copy the ENTIRE file:
>
> X Window System Version 7.1.1

[...]

> (--) PCI:*(1:0:0) nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200] rev 161,

[...]

> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
> (II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
>       compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.9746
>       Module class: X.Org Server Extension
>       ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 0.1
> (II) Loading extension GLX
> (II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so
> (II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
>       compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.9746
>       Module class: X.Org Video Driver

[...]

> (II) Loading extension NV-GLX
> (II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA 3D Acceleration Architecture Initialized
> (II) NVIDIA(0): Using the NVIDIA 2D acceleration architecture
> (==) NVIDIA(0): Backing store disabled
> (==) NVIDIA(0): Silken mouse enabled
> (II) Loading extension NV-CONTROL
> (==) RandR enabled
> (II) Initializing built-in extension MIT-SHM
> (II) Initializing built-in extension XInputExtension
> (II) Initializing built-in extension XTEST
> (II) Initializing built-in extension XKEYBOARD
> (II) Initializing built-in extension XC-APPGROUP
> (II) Initializing built-in extension SECURITY
> (II) Initializing built-in extension XINERAMA
> (II) Initializing built-in extension XFIXES
> (II) Initializing built-in extension XFree86-Bigfont
> (II) Initializing built-in extension RENDER
> (II) Initializing built-in extension RANDR
> (II) Initializing built-in extension COMPOSITE
> (II) Initializing built-in extension DAMAGE
> (II) Initializing built-in extension XEVIE
> (II) Initializing extension GLX

[ end of the Xorg log file ]

That looks like the driver goes into a hard lock when trying to
initialize the GLX extension. I am not sure how to deal with that.
Some suggestions:

1) Try an older version of the nvidia module, e.g. 1.0-8776. Maybe the
   latest driver is buggy.

2) If you have any fancy options in your xorg.conf, such as
   AllowGLXWithComposite or RenderAccel, turn them off and see if that
   makes a difference.

3) Maybe the nvidia user forums (http://forums.nvidia.com/) can offer
   more assistance.

--