Re: Slow USB disk

On 1/6/07, Alan Chandler <alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk> wrote:
On Saturday 06 January 2007 03:45, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 04:31:27AM +0100, Benjamí Villoslada wrote:
> > KDE mounts USB disk with this options:
> >
> > /dev/sdb1 on /media/disk type ext3
> > (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,sync,data="">> >
> > And is slow.  When I mount it manually, without sync option, then
> > write fast.
> >
> > I'm looking how tho modify the KDE mount in order to avoid the sync
> > option, but I don't locate this HOWTO.  Maybe the Hal parameters?
> > Thanks.
>
> You might want to rethink that.  The sync option is nice because that
> means that writes are completed immediately to disk.  This is nice
> because it means that if you pull the disk out without umounting it,
> you are less likely to lose data (unless you do it while an actual
> data transfer is occurring).  Without sync, the write could take an
> arbitrarily long time to be committed to disk, if there are not
> enough data to convince the driver to flush the cache.

But ...

... and there is a thread on the linux kernel mailing list about it ...

... you stand a chance of destroying the flash drive because of the
updates to the FAT tables during the write process.  [I think someone
wrote a 1GB file to a large fat drive and fried it in the process]

What the grandparent post wants to do is controlled by HAL parameters.
Install the hal-doc package and then look
inside /usr/share/doc/hal-doc/conf for some examples.

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk

I am running etch. For me, my usb flash gets mounted as readonly. I couldn't find any examples how to make it read write for the user. I get permissions as
drwxr_xr_x lvgandhi root. still I am unable to write to it as user lvgandhi.

--
L.V.Gandhi
http://lvgandhi.tripod.com/