Re: Linux Drivers, The Kernel, and a Driver List

On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 08:14:58PM -0800, Kevin Ross wrote:

> Having a comprehensive list of supported chipsets would be useful, though.  If
> some text-parsing wizard out there would like to write such a program, it would
> be interesting.

now if only manufacturers would put the chipsets on the outside of the
packages... or heck, even stuck to the same chipset for each model
number...

the compatibility issue is truly a nightmare. I bought a usb webcam
that was supposed (by model number to work) but it didn't, why?
because they had changed the usb device-id. nothing else changed, so
far as I could tell. I found the module version (upstream) that
supported the newer camera, and grepped it a bit. the only difference?
it listed the pci device-id. How are module writers expected to keep
up with these kinds of gratuitous changes?

turns out I could have modified the earlier source my self and put in
the one line that referenced the device-id and had a working module
anyway. at elast that's how I read it.