Re: Second sound card is too much hassle?

Jhair Tocancipa Triana wrote:

>Bruno Buys writes:
>

>>I have the need for a second mic in on my computer, and I was wondering
>>if I plugging in a spare emu10k1 card was a good idea. The computer has
>>onboard sound realtek alc658 (so says alsamixer), working ok. With two
>>cards, how does sound related apps behave? I never did this before...
>>

>If your card is correctly detected by alsa, you will see it in
>/proc/asound/cards, e.g.:
>
>$ cat /proc/asound/cards
> 0 [IXP            ]: ATIIXP - ATI IXP
>                      ATI IXP rev 1 with unknown codec at 0xb0003400, irq 17
> 1 [Modem          ]: ATIIXP-MODEM - ATI IXP Modem
>                      ATI IXP Modem rev 1 at 0xb0003800, irq 17
> 2 [Audio          ]: USB-Audio - USB Audio
>                      USB Audio at usb-0000:00:13.0-2, full speed
>
>Most sound related programs can be configured to use a particular
>sound card.
>
>With the example above
>
>$ alsamixer -c 2
>
>controls the sound card with index 2 (the USB one).
>
>You can also configure alsa to use a particular sound card as the
>default, see the alsa documentation.
>
>HTH,

Hi Jhair,
I plugged the emu10k1, and after reboot, my via onboard audio doesn't
appear anymore. The only line on dmesg is this:

VIA 82xx Audio: probe of 0000:00:11.5 failed with error -12

However, alsaconf con see both cards. The problem is, I have to choose
either one. Is there any way to keep both?