Re: Linux Drivers, The Kernel, and a Driver List

On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 08:47:05PM -0500, Grok Mogger wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> If the default kernel that comes with Debian has all these built
> in drivers and modules, then shouldn't there be some way to just
> get a list of every supported device?
>
> If I want to buy a new piece of hardware, and I want to figure
> out if it's supported or not (BEFORE I buy it), then shouldn't
> there be some way for me to just dig through my system and find
> the appropriate driver to confirm that it's supported?
>
> This is just something that's puzzled me for a long time now.
> If the kernel and its modules basically have all the drivers,
> then why is it so hard to find a reliable list of supported and
> unsupported hardware?  It's like we have this giant pot full of
> junk, tons of people have thrown stuff into it, and no one knows
> what's inside...
>
> If anyone can clear up some of that for me, I'd appreciate it.
>
> Thanks,
Hi GM,
The question has been asked -- over and over -- but the solution is not
easy to implement. Every piece of hardware has 2 names: the product name
and the chipset name. A kernel module supports the chiptset name.

Now here is the first twist: sometimes product X is produced with
chipset A and then sometime later they make a revision of it which uses
chiptset B. So when you see product X, it could use chiptset A or B. To
know which, you need to get the revision number. This is not always able
to be obtained without inspecting the item.
so:
 wizbang 1000 (chipset A) uses kernel module P
 wizbang 1000 (rev. 2, chipset B) uses kernel Q.

Second issue. Wizbang 1000 could be also called Newfoo 2000. So you have
to have a list for other names for the same item. The other name could
be because its sold in another location or it could be a different brand
in a differnt company.
so:
 wizband 1000 by foo (the usa) =
 wizband 2000 by foo japan (japan) =
 Newfoo 2000 by joes shop (England)

The most used tool to determine the chipset is lspci or lsusb.

So now you need all Gnu/linux, bsd and related projects to get a list of
all products by all companies for all years and get the lspci or lsusb
output and collect this in a single location. Its a mammoth task.

One Debian developer has a database that has a few pieces of data but
its small considering the task. Good work nonetheless.

There is also assembled hardware like servers and laptops. There also
needs to be a database of what parts are in a server so that you can
determine what chipsets and thus the modules needed.
cheers,
Kev
| : :' :      The  Universal     |   'under construction'   |
|   my keysever: subkeys.pgp.net |     my NPO: cfsg.org     |