System freeze sometimes when changing CD/DVD media

Hi all

I've been using Etch for a number of weeks now and am *so* really very satisfied and happy with it that I am going to be installing it on my partner's machine, replacing a long tradition of Slackware usage. Well done developers.

If I have one snag though it is this: there are occasions (irregular) when I will eject one DVD to replace it with another, close the drawer with the new media in it and then the system will hard freeze - the keyboard, mouse and power buttons are all useless. I can eject the newly inserted media but that doesn't change anything. The only option I have is to pull the plug at the back and reboot. This is a right royal PITA because if I am in the middle of some work, or have some unbookmarked links open in a browser or a draft e-mail being edited, I loose all of that work.

I'm not really sure what I should be looking at to get a sense of error messages with Debian, so I peeked into /var/log/messages and came back with this snippet, just before it locked up:

=================
Jan 12 19:06:42 valhalla kernel: hdc: packet command error: error=0x54 { Aborted
Command LastFailedSense=0x05 }
Jan 12 19:06:42 valhalla kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown
Jan 12 19:06:42 valhalla kernel: ATAPI device hdc:
Jan 12 19:06:42 valhalla kernel: Error: Illegal request -- (Sense key=0x05) Jan 12 19:06:42 valhalla kernel: "42 02 40 01 00 00 00 00 10 00 00 00 00 00 00
00 "
Jan 12 19:12:40 valhalla syslogd 1.4.1#18: restart.
Jan 12 19:12:40 valhalla kernel: klogd 1.4.1#18, log source = /proc/kmsg started

Can anyone help me decipher what this is suggesting and possibly even point me in the direction of a fix please?

Many thanks