Re: tty migration

On 1/11/07, Douglas Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 07:22:05PM -0500, Nelson Castillo wrote:
> >Note: I'm not trying to migrate a process from one machine to another,
> >just the program's stdin, stdout, stderr from a VC to a ssh.
>
> Perhaps you should use GNU Screen instead. It will change your life :P

I thought screen was a way to get many virtual-virtual terminals from
within one (virtual) terminal.

Not only that.

Can you exit a screen session, log in
another way and get it back with all the programs still running?

Yes.

With "Ctrl a d" you detach the screen session. Then "screen -r"  will
get it back.

It will work also if you accidentally close a SSH session. You will
be able to get back what you had been running. You might
need to detach it first if the system hasn't killed the ssh session yet
 -- "screen -dr".

One feature that is very useful is to have more than one
user see the same session. It's useful when you want to
help someone configure/debug something and she gives you
access to her server.

It's "screen -x". With that, you can have the terminals
in more than one PC at the same time (logged in with
the same user ... I think there are better permissions for
that but I haven't used them).

I like to use it and chat starting lines with #.

 n@plinko:~/svn$ cd fuwiki
 n@plinko:~/svn/fuwiki$ # let's do an update
 n@plinko:~/svn/fuwiki$ svn update
 At revision 10092.
 n@plinko:~/svn/fuwiki$ # Nothing new... catch you later.
 n@plinko:~/svn/fuwiki$ # Ok. See you...

It helps a lot. It's better than using IM and guess what someone
else's terminal is showing (or have her describe what she got).

You might want to use "screen -A" to start a Screen session.

Regards.

--
http://arhuaco.org
http://emQbit.com