Re: My sarge box has an IRC bot

On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 01:38:09PM -0500, Greg Folkert wrote:

> At one time I had an IRC-Bot on my machine. It was put in /dev/shm/ I
> fixed the access issue (it was writable by anyone)

The fact that /dev/shm is world writable is not an access issue anymore
than /tmp being world writable.  In fact, it is commonly used for
inter-process communication amongst *unpriviledged* processes.  If you
take away its world writable attribute, your programs that depend on
POSIX shared memory will fail.

> then another one in /tmp/apache-chroot I used for uploads. I turned off
> execute for /tmp (made it its own Filesystem for that)

Yup.  While that will thwart the most naïve of attacks, put a binary
(not a script) in there (something like ls works) and run this:

/lib/ld-linux.so.2 /tmp/ls

Of course, for scripts you can just use /usr/bin/path/to/interpreter.

> Turned out to be a Perl script in Twiki doing the exploit and running
> it.

Ouch.  Something similar happened to a friend of mine through an upload
bug in simplephpblog.

Regards,

-Roberto

--