getting xorg working on an old box .....

Dear Debianists,

In a recent post I reported a problem with xorg working on an old Gateway 2000 PC I use. The problem was that I chose 24 depth and the ATI Mach 64 graphics card could not support it.

I followed the advice and did dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg and eventually ended up selecting 4 depth.

Thanks for this recommendation.

I also put in the Belinea 10 20 10 monitor specs (I use this monitor) in the advanced menu choice for the monitor.

The rest of the choices were pretty much default ones.

The box then spent ages whirring away and writing to the swap area (low RAM situation). Finally I got an error from xorg.

The error was

(EE) AIGLX screen 0 is not DRI compatible

and a few other lines followed
by
killed.

Suggestions and comments welcome.