Re: ntfs with encrypted files

On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 07:35:25PM +0100, BAGI Akos wrote:
> Hi List!
>
> I have the following problem:
> - on xp the user encrypted 6 GB of data ( documents, photos etc.)
> - the data was copied tho an USB-HDD ( the user didn't mention that the
> data is encrypted)
> - the xp was fully reinstalled
> - the restore doesnt't work because it's not possible to read the
> encrypted files
>
> We are out of ideas.
> Is there any possibility to restore the data?

Preface: all are :-)))

XP= "Extra Poor"

I hope the encrypted USB-HDD isn't your only backup.

Install Etch.

Purge that user.

Learn cryptography and break the key to recover your data.

----

Sorry, too good to pass up.

Seriously,

You need to look at why you can't access those files if you have the
valid key and the required software.  Assuming that its not hardware
encryption native to the drive.

If the data is that important, learn cryptography and break the key.

Doug.