Re: exim4

On (11/01/07 09:14), Andrew Critchlow wrote:
> Does exim4 not accept any client connections such as pop3/imap/web
> interface or do you have to install 3rd part applications for this
> functionality?

For pop3 connections to download mail you need something like
fetchmail or getmail which passes messages to exim to deal with.

To connect to an IMAP server to read your mail you need a mail client
(and exim4 has no role to play in the process)

To access webmail you need a browser.

If however you are talking about setting up pop3/imap/web servers exim
does play a role but in conjunction with server packages such as
dovecot/squirrelmail for example

> I am busy learning exim4 for a competition where I may get asked
> common configuration tasks, does anyone know of the common
> configuration tasks?
On installation exim asks questions about your mail setup

Try as root/sudo:

# dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config

There's a lot of documentation on your system:

$ locate exim4 | grep doc

I put some notes on setting up an IMAP server here:
http://clivemenzies.co.uk/help/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=8&id=34&Itemid=59

Regards

Clive

--