Re: [OFF-TOPIC] Mailing List Netiquette

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 23:37:30 PM -0800, Justin Gallardo (gallardj@onid.orst.edu) wrote:

> Hey All,

> I am preparing a presentation to a group of students on mailing list
> netiquette
> Also, if you can think of any other good points to bring up during
> this talk, I would love to hear them.

0) make very clear that all the rules are limited to, and _must_ be
   respected only on, public forums and mailing lists. Otherwise you
   waste a lot of time with people saying "but inside my company we do
   HTML mail and huge signatures" or "I and all my friends like top
   posting a lot when we exchange email". Nobody cares, or should care
   about how more or less closed groups of people communicate
   privately. Efficient and polite communication in public, with
   strangers, is an entirely different issue in which the traditional
   netiquette (no html, no top posting...) is still by far the best
   solution.

1) always trim as much as possible of the message you are replying to.
   Saves both reading time and money on metered connections (which are
   only going to increase with mobile Internet via GPRS taking off)

HTH,
	Marco

--
The right way to make everybody love Free Standards and Free Software:
http://digifreedom.net/node/73