df nor FSView reporting correct free space

Hi all,

I am running Reiserfs as the file system on my Sid desktop install. Recently I downloaded and burnt a couple of dvd iso images of Etch, and then promptly forgot about them. When I went to run apt-get upgrade tonight I found that I had run out of disk space on a partition of approximately 20 gigs. So, I ran df and it reported something like 100K of free disk space and FSView reported the same. Well, I went in and deleted (rm filename) the two .iso images of 4.35 gigs each plus two more 500+ mB files. Now df reports that I have approximately 2 gigs of free space. However, FSView reports that I have approximately 12.5 gigs of used space, or approximately 7.5 gigs of free space. Neither seems that it could possibly be correct as I deleted a total of more than 9 gigs worth of files, although FSView's report is much closer to what logic says should be available.

Disks Manager, found under Desktop -> Administration, and GParted also report the partition as being 19.65 gigs with 2.1 gigs of free space. The files I deleted showed up correctly using FSView and ls -al before I deleted them, and do not appear in either format now. Anyone know how I can recover the lost disk space? I've had similar things happen before -- rm'ed a file and the recovered disk space didn't show up using df until after I had rebooted. Unfortunately that didn't happen this time, and at boot the file system is reported as clean. I have to say that the run times for rm while deleting the files were a very short. Normally when I delete files as large as the ones I deleted tonight it takes some time before rm releases control of the bash shell. Tonight it did not. It only took a couple of seconds before it released the shell.