Re: bandwidth used by a single application

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 15:35:06 -0500
"H.S." <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:

> How do I find out how much bandwidth is being used by a particular
> application? I want to see what skype does if it is left signed on on my
> Debian Testing box.
>

> ->HS

Try nethogs [0]. It claims to monitor bandwidth by process. It is apparently meant for realtime viewing, but you can probably get it to log.
You can also fire up your favorite sniffer (tcpdump / wireshark / ettercap). and try to sort traffic by port, assuming you know what ports skype is using.
You might also take a look at darkstat [1].

Celejar

[0] http://nethogs.sourceforge.net/
[1] http://dmr.ath.cx/net/darkstat/

--
ssuds.sourceforge.net - Home of Ssuds and Ssudg, a Simple Sudoku Solver and Generator